Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Cabrini Blog Post #3

I decided to take a look at Kristen Swanson’s blog. Her blog is presented in a very intimidating fashion, it is just a grid or collective of various blog posts about a multitude of educational topics from teacher superpowers to choosing the right person to serve as a leader. I was initially intimidated by the amount of information presented but when I clicked on a couple of the posts, I saw that they were small and manageable snippets of information. I began to appreciate the format and it became very easy to explore. I don’t think it would be great if you wanted to present a series of posts because they would be lost in the mass grid system, but if you just want to survey different topics then it is ideal. Educational blogging and reflecting through blogging is very similar to note taking. The way you can take a piece of information, synthesize it and then repost it allows for better understanding and will serve as a reference to eventually go back to. If nobody reads your blog, you can benefit from knowing that you can always reflect back on the postings to review various educational scenarios or information.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the format of this blog - it is completely different from any of the ones I've seen so far and that makes it more appealing. In a venue where much of the same quickly becomes monotonous I appreciate the different take on blogging. I agree that even if the blog goes unread, it is a great reflective practice, however, I feel like there are SO many of them it can be difficult to figure out which ones are worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    I too found the format of Kristen Swanson's blog to be completely different. I actually like the grid format so much better! Personally, I appreciate the organization of this format. It's very eye appealing. I enjoyed scanning through the grid pictures and simply clicking on one to than read a short posting. I found myself reading more from Kristen Swanson's blog than I did of Brad Kohlhepp's blog, the author I selected to conduct a blog review on for Unit 3. Oops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also looked into her blog but decided to look elsewhere after you had already blogged about her. I totally agree, at first I was very confused but after poking around a bit I kinda like the format. Although, a good idea might be to archive them every week or month depending on the frequency of her posts, so that people don't get overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blog that you referenced reminds me a lot of Pinterest. I do think it would be helpful to readers to have the topics organized in some sort of way, to make it easier to follow. Blogging to me, is kind of like public journaling. You're right, if no one reads it, you can always go back and reflect on your posts. You have nothing to lose though by putting your thoughts out there. You're not the only one who has the perspectives you are blogging about, and it seems to validate your posts when you can read similar posts.

    ReplyDelete